Wednesday, January 17, 2007

"Collective Progress" or "On Waking Up Tomorrow"



Did you know that the rain falling onto the N.E. seaboard of the United States, Eastern Canada, and California, Oregon, and Washington is as acidic as tomato juice? We are relying too heavily on burning coal (coal has sulphur and burning it creates sulpheric acid which, directly produces acid rain).

It kills fish.
Think about that.

That means it is also in your drinking water. Hope your cities have the funds to go to great lengths to extract some of the 200+ hazardous materials in drinking water...

And another thing...

Did you know that it will only take a 12 cm rise in sea level to flood cities on coastlines such as New York or Los Angeles? Currently, the sea levels are rising because of the melting glaciers...And the levels will only continue to rise.

And come on people, stop building your shitty homes on geological disaster zones...

I know, you don't know any better. Neither do I. But we should and we can. It just takes effort.

I don't want to build or buy a home that rests on top of an old waste dumping site. Nor do I want to build or buy a home that is on an active fault( all faults that have been active in the past 10,000 years are still considered "active") , in flood zones ( the process of flooding from rivers is usually a few meters per second) or at the base of a potential landslide. First, we are running out of room and that "forces" us to develop on inhabitable land. (So hey, you religious conservatives, stop refusing to embrace contraceptives, same-sex marriage, and abortions. If we put our personal opinions aside about those things then maybe we could help with our BLATANT overpopulation crisis on Earth...Wow, did I really just put that out there?)

Second, we are greedy and work too fast making decisions that can only afford us temporary satisfaction. Just because we want to build on that gorgeous cliff doesn't mean over time we won't just slide right off into the ocean due to weak rocks beneath the foundation of our home or an eathquake that shakes, shakes, and shakes the foundation loose. Can't you see that my concern is for both the precious, beloved, environment and equally my precious, beloved brothers and sisters?

Don't get me wrong. I am not an expert on environmental geology or engineering. But, I am taking a small amount of time out on this Saturday evening to consider the relationship between Humans and Nature.

And For Fuck's Sake, start recycling. That is a very small and usually effortless contribution ( unless you live where I live and instead of a nice little recycling pickup at your curb you have to drive to three separate places ranging 10-45 minutes away in order to properly recycle all of the recyclable objects you "use"...yes, it does take effort, but ususally Salem gets a good nap in during that time anyway) to prolonging our resources on Earth.

If you have made it this far in this post, I love you. Please know that. Because it will take people like you to make things better round here.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love you too. :)

Keep writing mama! I'm reading, even if I don't comment much.

Unknown said...

Hi,

That's my cartoon on global warming that you have used.I'm glad you liked it.
I live in Glasgow,Scotland where it rains a lot.

best wishes,
Frank Boyle