Monday, January 15, 2007

Crucified on the Dentist's Chair

I assume we all agree that teeth are important. They allow you to comfortably smile, communicate and maintain your status as a bi-pedal, symbol-using, chewing mammal. They are a neccessary part of your daily endeavors. Or at least, our teeth are crucial assisstants in turning our food into an easier and more digestible consistency (especially for your meat eaters). So, why then, is it so expensive and virtually impossible to maintain our pearly whites?

Even a flossing, tooth-brusing nazi like myself has been having unfathomable dental issues. And it doesn't help that the two most influential men in my life are so practical and headstrong and question every single thing that the dentists have been feeding me. I am at a loss. I cannot separate the dentists bullshit from their truth any longer. In order to spare you the largely boring details of the past few months of my dental visits, let me just say that I find it hard to believe that one fucking tooth can cost thousands of dollars to maintain. And I find it even harder to imagine that one 1500.00 procedure performed less than one month ago would render my tooth in such a condition that the next necessary step cannot possibly happen. How can these doctors continue to (mal)practice and take thousands and thousands of our dollars and get away with perpetually taking us half the way there? Or in some cases one thirsd the way there.

I am beyond my usual field of compassion and understanding and have entered the realm of utter skepticsm and resentment.

I sat in that damn chair two times, three hours each session to perform a root canal retreat only to get referred to the dentist in the next suite who would tell me that the 1500.00 procedure will have to be completely overhauled to perform the next step.

Times like these, I really wish I wasn't just a damn number or dollar sign. I wish they knew my name and feared me. I wish, as a minimum as a human on this ridiculously god-fearing planet, they would at least be honest.

Come on you damn dentists, didn't you learn in bible school that honesty is important to God?

No comments: